Leveraging Decades Of Combined Experience To Protect Your Interests

  1. Home
  2.  » 
  3. Personal Injury
  4.  » 3 types of documents to collect after an accident

3 types of documents to collect after an accident

On Behalf of | Jun 28, 2021 | Personal Injury |

Car crashes and motorcycle collisions account for a huge portion of roadway accidents in the United States. Annually, over three million individuals nationwide sustain injuries in motor vehicle accidents. If you, unfortunately, become one of those statistics and suffer injuries and monetary loss as a result, you may elect to file a future lawsuit or insurance claim.

To prove your case, the other driver’s negligence and the fact that you suffered damages, you should gather the following types of records:

1. Employment records

You may find that you need to take time off work to recover from your car accident injuries. If that is the case, keep any financial documents related to your employment and proof that you requested medical leave. Keep anything that shows the value of your lost wages from your time off. For example, you should keep tax returns, check stubs, tip records and records of direct deposits from your employer.

2. Medical records

Medical bills will likely make up the largest portion of your demand for compensation and you will need proof of your expenses and injuries. Keep detailed records of whatever diagnoses, treatments, surgeries, prescriptions, paid receipts and bills you receive. Your medical records may also include test results, psychiatric notes or referral paperwork.

3. Damage reports

If your vehicle has damage from the accident, keep all related records like repair receipts, notes from mechanics, insurance reports, inspection paperwork and towing documents. Also, save any pictures or videos you took of the accident scene and your car damage.

Overall, keeping record of these types of documents will likely make your life easier in the future if you deal with attorneys and insurance adjusters as you attempt to recover compensation for your injuries and property damage.